Low back pain is a common condition that most adults experience less or more often. For many, they are a permanent foundation. However, they can sometimes have a significant negative effect on your quality of life, interfering with everyday activities. In this case, it is necessary to initiate diagnosis and treatment of lumbar spine pain, as it can be a sign of a serious pathology.
What to do if your lower back hurts?
What to do if your back hurts in the lower back? First of all, the patient needs to independently guess what causes discomfort.
There are two types of medical problems that can cause pain:
- Directly linked to the musculoskeletal system.They are characterized by an increase / appearance when changing positions, active movement, dynamic load on the musculoskeletal system. For the same reason, pain occurs after a long period of inactivity, etc. v. ;
- Related to the pathology of internal organs.In this case, the problem can be identified by concomitant symptoms - in the case of kidney disease, this is an increase in temperature, difficulty urinating, in bladder diseases, back painsevere / appear when urinating. Gynecological diseases are accompanied by symptoms characteristic of the genital organs are the menstrual cycle.
If a patient has reason to believe that pain in the lower back is related to a gynecological pathology, after contacting a doctor, they will undergo the following diagnostic tests:
- Ultrasonic examination of the pelvic organs;
- Diagnostic curettage;
- Smeared pathological microflora;
- Complete blood count.
If kidney or bladder disease is suspected, carry out the following examinations that the specialist prescribes:
- Kidney / bladder ultrasound;
- General urine analysis;
- Biochemical blood test;
- Check manually.
If you suspect that a pathology of the musculoskeletal system is causing lower back pain, you should contact a chiropractor / orthopedic / neurologist.
To determine the presence of spinal disease, the following tests are performed:
- X-ray - visualizes only bone tissue, but it can be used to identify indirect signs of osteoarthritis or disc pathology;
- Manual test - reflectance, sensitivity test;
- Photovoltaic in the case of suspicion of significant involvement of nerve tissue in the process;
- Ultrasound of the spine is contraindicated with other research methods.
The most informative, complex research methods for lower back pain are CT, MRI. They can be used in all cases, if the diagnosis is confirmed, or if it is not possible to deliver by other methods.
How to treat low back pain? If they are related to the pathology of internal organs, then it is necessary to treat the cause of them. In the case of urolithiasis, the stone should be removed surgically, dissolving with special preparations. With pyelonephritis, cystitis, antibiotics are prescribed, broad spectrum for a long time. In the case of a gynecological pathology that causes lower back pain, it all depends on their type: hormones, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs and surgery can be prescribed.
But most lower back pain is usually caused by the musculoskeletal system, which also requires complicated treatment. Such treatment can be prescribed by a neurologist, orthopedic doctor.
Relieve pain with medicine
If your back hurts in the lower back area, one of the following methods may help:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in tablet formis taken by 1 tablet up to 3 times / day. They effectively relieve pain, with almost no contraindications, side effects. Do not take them uncontrollably during pregnancy. When after 2-3 days of taking the drug without pain relief, you need to consult a doctor - the course of treatment can last up to 14 days, but only under the doctor's control;
- Injectable nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugsare administered intramuscularly at an individual dose not more than once a day. Pain relievers are more effective and faster than tablets, but should not be used for more than three days, as they begin to affect the chemical composition of the blood, which reduces the ability to clot. If it is necessary to prolong the course of NSAID administration, the doctor prescribes the drug to the patient;
- Tabletsare allowed to be used as a last resort, since they have side effects, negatively affect the condition of the gastric mucosa, but provide effective analgesia. results than NSAIDs. Take 1 capsule strictly as needed. Contraindicated to pregnant women, people with stomach ulcers, some other cases;
- Injectable pain relieversdo not have a markedly negative effect on the mucous membranes, they are taken individually, as well as according to indications. Contraindicated during pregnancy, reducing blood clotting.
These methods have a pronounced analgesic effect, but in the case of a serious illness, only complex treatment is needed to reduce the exacerbation.
During the complex treatment for back pain in the lumbar region, other medicinal substances are also prescribed:
- Warming ointmentis applied up to 4 times a day if needed. They help reduce muscle spasm, which causes pain on its own, causing pressure on nerve tissue and blood vessels. Spasm occurs after prolonged static / dynamic load;
- Antispasmodic drugs2 tablets are taken up to twice a day, they help reduce muscle spasm;
- Chondroprotectors in ointments or tabletsallows you to strengthen the disc, joint tissue and stop the progression of the pathology. Ointment is applied up to 4 times / day, tablets are taken 1-2 times / day;
- B vitaminsare administered intramuscularly once every 1-2 days at an individual dose. Allows to improve conduction of nerve impulses, maintain good condition of nerve tissues;
- NSAID ointmentshave an additional analgesic effect, they are applied directly to the affected area 3 times a day. By itself, topical remedies cannot be effective anesthesia. But they work as a complementary approach.
Complex treatment is prescribed by the doctor, it is complemented by massage exercises, physical therapy, physiotherapy.
exercise therapy and gymnastics
The following exercises can help relieve pain in the lumbar spine:
- The camel cat. Keep your posture on the floor with knees and palms support. Bow as much as you can, locking in the top spot for 10 seconds. Then bend your back as far as you can, fixing at the bottom point for 10 seconds. Repeat the exercise 7 times in both directions;
- Lie on the floor, on your stomach, legs stretched, arms outstretched in front of you. At the same time raise your arms, upper body, straighten your legs like performing reverse "hit ball". Fixed at maximum point for the maximum possible time, slowly returning to starting position.
Exercising as directed by a physiotherapist helps to strengthen the muscle system, making the spine more supple when under stress. They also normalize the nutrition of the tissues, the disc, prevent the development of degenerative processes in it. However, exercises can only be performed during remission - in the case of trauma, exacerbation of chronic diseases, they are prohibited.
Yoga has the same indications and contraindications as to exercise therapy.
The following poses are most beneficial for lower back pain:
- Lean forward from a sitting position;
- Child's pose;
- Twisted from the lotus pose;
- The goddess on her side;
- Legs perpendicular to the body, leaning against the wall;
- Free wind;
- Awakening pose.
It is recommended to do them for the first time under the supervision of an instructor.
While swimming, the load is removed from the spine, the muscle frame is strengthened and the work of the muscles is normalized, while improving blood circulation. You cannot swim during an exacerbation. It is important to adhere to certain styles that do not stress the lumbar region. This is a backstroke swimming style, shown at the beginning of the article, at the end of the post is the frog swimming style, the doggy style. Cow-style is not recommended, as it exerts a significant load on the skeletal muscle system.
How to treat the disease? Physiotherapy is a good adjunct.
The following methods are used:
- microwave oven;
- Magnetic therapy.
During this time, a decrease in tonicity, muscle spasm, a decrease in inflammation, a decrease in edema, blood circulation and microcirculation are normalized. Usually, 7-10 procedures are enough to achieve a stable positive effect.
Massages that allow you to reduce muscle tone, strengthen corsets, as well as exercise therapy, are not performed during periods of paroxysmal pathology.
Do a light massage like this:
- Rub with open palms, on both sides of spine;
- Press, with vibrating / spinning motion - applying force simultaneously with two fingers, symmetrically, at some point along the spine;
- Move the deep layers of the muscle - with four fingers pressing the tissue on both sides of the spine, without relieving pressure, moving the arm forward - from the sacrum to the chest area.
Finish off the mixture by rubbing it well.
Organization of workplaces
Spinal pain is common in people who work in sedentary jobs. As a result of long sitting, a strong static load is placed on the spine. It can be reduced with streamlined workplace organization. It must comply with the following rules:
- When the forearms are placed on the table, between them and the right shoulder forms a right angle;
- Put your feet on the floor in a sitting position with your knees bent at an angle of 90 degrees;
- The distance from the eyes (straight back) to the computer screen is 50 cm, to the table top - 30 - 40 cm.
In addition, you can improve your condition by purchasing special orthopedic seat cushions.
If your lumbar spine is not yet painful but you feel stiff, take the following measures to prevent lower back pain:
- Avoid lifting heavy objects;
- Avoid prolonged dynamic / static loads;
- Take a break from exercise with sedentary work;
- Do daily exercise therapy;
- Eat properly;
- Get rid of bad habits;
- Avoid drafts;
- Track your weight - don't put it on.
These methods will prevent the development of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Back and lower back pain can cause a variety of medical conditions and you can get rid of unpleasant symptoms just by eliminating the cause of this pathology. So, if the pain relief measures no longer work, the pain in the lower back becomes frequent / very intense then a doctor is needed to determine the cause of the pain and eliminate it.