The human finger is the primary working tool for performing any physical task. If the feet are designed to be moved, then the fingers will perform any function, even the smallest movements, making it virtually impossible without them. During operation, the more tools are used, the faster it will fail if not properly maintained.
Many of us often complain that sometimes after a day of work, the knuckles are very painful, even the fingers are completely numb while sleeping, but few people notice this anduseful. If symptoms and causes are not identified in time and proper treatment is not performed, the overlooked disease can lead to more serious consequences.
In this article we will take a closer look at why the knuckles hurt, we will name the common causes and current methods of treating joint pain.
Causes of finger joint pain
So why is finger joint pain and how to treat it? Rheumatologists-specialists divide all joint pain into two broad categories: mechanical and inflammatory.
- Inflammatory painis characterized by persistent morning stiffness, which may last for an hour or more. The pain gets better with the movements. In addition, with the pain caused by inflammation, the patient also noted other symptoms: red swelling in the joint, decreased range of motion, decreased flexibility.
- Myalgiamay be accompanied by local inflammatory signs. But the latter, as a rule, are insignificant and poorly expressed. Often the patient doesn't even notice them.
Let's take a more detailed look at why the knuckles are sore, and what diseases are the ways this is caused.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.A chronic autoimmune systemic disease that mainly affects the small joints of the body, but does not exclude involvement of large joints and internal organs in the pathological process. Pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis accounts for 5-7% of all cases. The index and middle finger joints are inflamed. The joints are swollen, red, and the skin above becomes hot to the touch. The joints hurt so much, one cannot even clench their hands into fists. Success or failure is usually symmetrical on the arms. A characteristic feature is the painful inflammation of the joints in the morning or the second half of the night, accompanied by stiff hand movements. By night, the pain disappeared.
- Psoriatic Arthritis. It appears on the surface of the outer sheath - leather. Pain in the joints of the fingers occurs at the distal phalanx. It is manifested by such swelling that a sausage-shaped, reddish-purple, and slightly purple-colored fingers are obtained. Symptoms of psoriasis are characterized by difficulty extending the hands and thumb.
- Infectious Arthritis. Systemic symptoms during the development of this disease may be completely absent. The course of the disease is characterized by acute pain that can last from a few hours to a few days. The affected joint is hot to the touch. In some cases, fever, as well as chills can be observed.
- Goutis a fairly common disease, mainly affecting people over the age of 50. The cause of gout is a violation of uric acid metabolism - uric acid is later excreted from the body poorly and deposited in joints and cartilage, hindering their normal function. A characteristic symptom of gout is severe burning pain.
- Osteoarthritisis a non-inflammatory deformation of the joint, characterized by thickening and limited mobility. This disease is closely related to the estrogenic muscle, so it usually occurs in older women. Among the causes of osteoarthritis are as follows: genetic factors, metabolic disorders in the body, occupational stress and others. The main symptom of the disease, in addition to pain in the hand joints, also forms subcutaneous nodules and edema. They contribute to the characteristic deformation of the fingers: the thickening in the middle and the general shape of the spindle.
- Inflammation of the posterior cross ligament. Pathology is similar to two diseases at the same time - arthritis and fibrosis. Only x-rays can determine the true cause. The clinic is quite typical. Pain when bending and cracking wrists. Sometimes a clenched palm can get caught. When not bent, the click sound can be clearly heard.
- Rhizarthrosis.If you are concerned about pain in your thumb joint, chances are this is the cause. Its appearance is related to a significant overload of the joint, previous infection, intoxication and trauma. On examination, the diagnosis is unquestionable: specific pain point, increased pain with characteristic load - turn the key, open the lid, rotate the doorknob. In the early stages of the disease, the thumb on the hand hurts only during exertion, when the disease develops, pain also occurs at rest. Gradually, the joints become deformed, motor activities become impossible.
- Rheumatism.Known for sudden, very uncomfortable throbbing pain. He injected these sharp manifestations into his knuckles and at the same time led to the whole process of redness, swelling, and reduced freedom of movement. In addition, it is possible to have a rash and increase in body temperature, and the full picture of the disease will be drawn, the treatment of the disease is possible only with the help of a doctor. Tunnel syndrome
- .Can cause index finger joint pain, often diagnosed in young adults. It appears when working for a long time at the computer. Almost all therapists with such career-related activities, sooner or later, may experience similar symptoms.
Factors influencing the development of various finger joint diseases:
- hormonal changes;
- pathology of the immune system;
- various genetic factors; Infection
- (often chronic); metabolic disorders
- exposed to various harmful factors, such as: frequent hand in cold water (for long periods);
- Minor trauma occurs from hand injury (most commonly occurs in athletes or slaves requiring special physical exertion).
Only an trauma doctor or a rheumatologist can determine if a patient has a specific condition that causes finger joint pain, as well as prescribe the correct treatment.
Finger flexion and stretching pain
Pain when bending can indicate the presence of the following conditions:
- compression of the vertebral nerve;
- fatty ligamentitis;
- arthritis; tunnel syndrome
- osteoarthritis; Tendinitis
Signs of serious finger joint problems include the following symptoms:
- Appearance of nodular formation in the joint;
- Fingers squeak;
- Pain from pressure;
- Change in skin color (redness);
- Difficulty in fine motor skills;
- Increases body temperature;
- Toggle matching;
- The seal at the finger tip;
- Hard to grip fingers;
- Development of inflammation and tumor formation around the joint;
- Patchy pain (discomfort that gets worse at night and almost disappears during the day).
Knowing the cause of the painful joint will help you find a cure and take preventive measures.
Before finding a cure for finger joint pain, it is necessary to make an accurate diagnosis. Therefore, people with joint pain and severe discomfort when bending upper extremities should make the following diagnosis:
- blood chemistry; X-ray
- computed tomography
- blood test (generalization), urine;
- captures magnetic resonance
- checks the blood for rheumatoid factor, purine nucleus, anti-streptococcal antibodies.
The discomfort of finger flexing should not be ignored. Ignoring the problem can have serious consequences. Loss of active movements is often noted. And then, a seemingly insignificant problem like the inability to bend a finger can lead to disability.
What if you have pain in the knuckles?
You should contact the specialist surgeon if:
- Severe joint pain that doesn't go away even after using pain relievers;
- Joint pain accompanied by an increase in overall body temperature or other pathological symptoms (conjunctivitis, skin rash, etc. );
- Joint pain occurs after trauma and is accompanied by severe swelling, as well as deformation of the joint contour;
- Pain in the knuckles does not go away for a week.
If pain occurs in the knuckles, treatment must first be to eliminate the underlying disease. If pain in the knuckles occurs due to the inflammatory process, antibiotics, hormones, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs will be prescribed.
In the case of dystrophic injury, it is necessary first of all to restore the damaged joint cartilage with the help of drugs chondroprotectors and auxiliary measures: massage, manual therapy, physical therapy.
In the case of an inflammatory process, the patient is prescribed a course of nonsteroidal pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs.
For severe pain, hormonal corticosteroids are used, which can be injected into the joint cavity. In osteoarthritis, chondroprotectors are prescribed in long courses, which help nourish the cartilage and help prevent the destruction of the cartilage.
Pain in the knuckles indicates malfunction or some kind of malfunction. First of all, you need to create some distance to do any physical activity.
Very important and effective physiotherapy in the fight against pathogens of the knuckle. These methods include: electrophoresis (electric shock), resonance therapy, and electric sleep.
During remission, the therapeutic effect on the fingers is performed by massaging, slurry, manual therapy and gymnastics. You should also visit the springs of hydrogen sulphide, radon, and mud in the nursing-resort environment. Treatment in a nursing home is performed without aggravating joint disease and is prescribed only after thorough examination by a specialist.
Products to help relieve joint pain:
- Fish and other seafood. Calcium, iron and phosphorus contained in them contribute to the normalization of mineral metabolism;
- Flaxseed or fish oil. The omega-3 fatty acids in these products improve the condition of blood vessels and help restore fat metabolism;
- Apple cider vinegarpromotes blood alkalization and salt removal.
Also, add to your diet:
- egg yolks;
- grapes; particles
- fruit and pomegranate juice;
- olive oil;
- low-fat natural cheese.
Should be limited or completely excluded: high-fat dairy products, sweets, baked goods, spicy or salty foods, mayonnaise, smoked meats, strong tea and coffee, as well as productsContains oxalic acid (spinach, sorrel, rhubarb).
At home, you can try some folk remedies that can complement the primary treatment and pain relief of the knuckles.
- The laurel leaves and juniper are crushed and added to butter. Hands should be massaged daily with ointment.
- Should apply compressed powder and fermented dairy products (kefir, fermented baked milk) at night. Boiled oatmeal can be used in a similar way.
- Birch resin can be taken by mouth. This is a source of many vitamins, useful substances, having positive effects not only on joints but also on the whole body.
- It is recommended to drink one tablespoon of olive oil with a few drops of fresh garlic juice in the morning before your first meal. Therefore, it is possible to reduce inflammation during the exacerbation of pain in the hand joints.
Don't forget other non-drug treatments: physical therapy, mud therapy, massage, paraffin therapy, and ultrasound.
They help keep the musculoskeletal system in good condition, simply and in no time. A few minutes a day can bring you sick old age.
Remember:Answers to the question of why a finger or toe joint is sore and what to do first worries you. Trust your doctor, but take control of the situation yourself. How and how to treat joints - it's up to you only.