Osteoarthritis of the ankle often develops with age, and older people are often interested in the question of what are its symptoms and can it be treated at home?
Signs of the disease at any stage of development
Ankle deformity is the gradual destruction of cartilage, which develops slowly in the primary form, i. e. , due to age-related changes or acute pain in the secondary form, as a result of trauma.
The disease has three stages of development, each with its own characteristics. There are the following symptoms about the degree of ankle osteoarthritis:
- In the first degree of the disease, pain, sometimes sharp, occurs after the joint is severely stressed, with unsuccessful rotation of the leg. The stiffness of the movements and the characteristic clicks appear with a sharp movement.
- The second degree is a manifestation of constant pain in the joints, accompanied by a feeling of unstable legs. Signs begin to be felt - osteoclasts - the growth of bone that deforms the joint. The brittleness becomes permanent.
- In the terminal stage, the final destruction of cartilage occurs with complete penetration of bone into the joint capsule. In this advanced stage of the disease, the patient feels severe pain, the ankle joint becomes denser due to bone growth, the affected area may be swollen and red.
Of course, pain is a clear sign of ankle arthritis. Acute and acute pain in the early stages is replaced by a chronic pain syndrome.
Reality! Arthritis can be cured in the early stages of the disease's development. Sometimes just using non-traditional treatments is enough, but you should also not forget to regularly monitor the condition of the ankle joint.
Treatment at home
Traditional medicine offers many ways to get rid of the symptoms of ankle effusion, which will help the disease heal in the long run. First of all, these are the following types of treatment:
- the use of decoctions and infusions inside.
Along with the use of folk remedies, it is recommended to perform treatment with strengthening exercises for the ankle joint.
Reality! It is known that deformed joints are mainly caused by calcium deficiency. Therefore, foods containing this mineral in large quantities should be the basis of the diet.
In the treatment of folk methods, compresses are used, created on a different basis. But the most effective is to apply crushed fresh burdock or cabbage leaves. Such a compress is tied up and left overnight.
For home treatment with lotions, the following measures are used:
- To relieve pain, compresses from finely mashed raw potatoes are used. The resulting mass is applied to the ankle joint for half an hour, covered with cling film.
- A lotion made from cabbage juice also works, for this you need to grind fresh cabbage leaves with a blender, apply the resulting mixture to gauze and wrap it in the joints. Leave it on for a few hours.
- In the morning, pour hot water over the rolled oats and leave for the evening in a dark place. Apply the swollen pimples on your feet overnight and leave it overnight.
- To treat with nourishing poultice, it is necessary to combine powdered talcum powder or eggshell and fermented milk products in the ratio 3: 2. After that, the nutrient mixture must be applied to the joints and left overnight. .
- An excellent effect can be achieved when propolis is applied to the affected leg area. The ankle joint deformity will go away on its own if you do this method for 10 consecutive days at night.
- Applying horseradish has a warming and pain-relieving effect. For treatment, one tuber is crushed in a meat grinder, after which the resulting mixture must be put in a pot with boiling water and boiled for 1 minute. Apply the cooled medicine for 1–2 hours.
Therapeutic compression bandages perfectly treat ankle joint disease in the early stages of symptoms - pain and crunches. The nutrients found in natural remedies help restore the natural production of synovial fluid.
To relieve the symptoms of the disease at home, it is best to use bath water from the following ingredients:
- For the treatment of dry joints in the feet, turpentine baths or bischofite baths have been shown to be good. Usually added in 5-7 tbsp. Each product for 10 liters of hot water. Add water to the bowl as needed to keep it at an acceptable temperature. A course of 10 procedures is performed in 40 minutes.
- Mustard powder dissolved in hot water has the effect of healing the manifestations of the disease. Put 3-4 tablespoons of flour in a bowl and mix well. Shower for at least 30 minutes daily for up to 15-20 days.
- To prepare a bath, you need to boil 500 g of pine needles in 4 liters of water for 25 minutes. Then add physiological saline. Salt must be added to the water at the rate of 7 tbsp. l. for 5 liters of hot water. Keep your feet in the tub for at least 20 minutes. A great addition to this procedure would be to lubricate the ankle joint with honey.
Water-soluble conifer extract with sea salt is not only a pain reliever, but also a method of restoring disturbed metabolism in the ankle joint.
Reality! It is known that saline solution promotes the excretion of salt from the joints, for deformed joints, this is an extremely necessary measure.
In the fight against diseases, rubbing is used both with healing ointments and tinctures of medicinal plants. In addition to the warming effect, such procedures are therapeutic, acting directly on the cause of the development of joint diseases - lack of joint fluid. The following recipes are used for rubbing:
- In the enamel bowl, add the birch buds to the butter in a ratio of 1: 1. Place in the steamer, heat on water for 35 minutes. Pass the finished mixture through the cheesecloth and add camphor alcohol in the same proportions. Rub preparations with ointment into the joints before going to bed. Wear a wool sock at night after the procedure.
- Elecampane tincture helps support the treatment of painful manifestations in damaged joints. To do this, rub the sore spot at night.
- Squeeze dandelion flowers in a dark glass container and pour vodka to cover the top of the jar, then leave in a dark place for 1 month. This tincture helps to restore metabolism in cartilage tissues, it treats any arthritis at an early stage of the development of the disease.
- Mix honey, alcohol, glycerin and iodine in a ratio of 3: 3: 2: 1, leave for 4 hours, then massage into the painful joint.
- Melt the honey in a water bath, then add the prepared black radish juice, wine vinegar and salt in a ratio of 10: 10: 5: 1. Apply before going to bed. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
The topical medication is usually applied within 2 weeks. Self-massage during this process is also helpful in the healing process of the ankle affected by arthritis.
An excellent folk remedy for the treatment of joints is garlic tincture. For its preparation, garlic rolls and olive oil are taken in a ratio of 1: 10 and infused for 4 days. You need to take 1 tsp. in the morning before meals.
In addition, a decoction of reishi leaves, as well as an infusion using calendula flowers and birch buds, help. Healing infusion is made in thermos, drink 1/3 cup before meals 15-20 minutes.
The correct application of preventive measures for ankle arthritis in the early stages will help the disease end completely and the symptoms of the disease will last for many years. Folk remedies combined with nourishing exercises and proper nutrition are the keys to success in the fight against this disease.